The PGD is a technique of genetic analysis (prenatal diagnosis) that allows you to examine the
chromosomal envelope of the embryos prior to implantation, moreover, this method allows us
not only to determine whether there is a boy or a girl, but also find out if there are any
changes that may affect on the development of the future child.
It is necessary to get the embryo with the usage of in vitro fertilization for the realization of pre-implantation genetic diagnosis.
What diseases can be detected with the help of PGD procedure?
It should be mentioned that by means of PGD most diseases can be detected, including hereditary diseases such as: genetic defects or disorders associated with a particular sex. Moreover, various chromosomes are studied in order to detect and analyze specific disorders, among which may be:
– Chromosome 13: Breast and ovarian cancer, deafness, Wilson’s disease.
– Chromosome 15: Marfan syndrome(MFS), Tay-Sachs disease.
– Chromosome 16: Polycystic kidney disease, Alpha-thalassemia.
– Chromosome 17: Charcot–Marie–Tooth disease (CMT)..
– Chromosome 18: Niemann–Pick disease, pancreatic cancer
– Chromosome 21: Down syndrome (DS or DNS).
– Chromosome X: Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), Turner syndrome, Fragile X syndrome (FXS).
– Chromosome Y: Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML)
Who should consider PGD?
Lately, more and more clinics began to offer PGD technology and this procedure became available for use by anyone who needed it, at least this happened in the United States. Many countries have limitations on this procedure even today. As a result, today more and more couples are ready to cross over the globe and come to the InterFiv clinic for treatment in Ukraine.
PGD and pregnancy
One of the main worries among the married couples are whether this procedure can harm the impregnation of a child or negatively affect the health of their embryo as it should be carried out at an early stage in the development of the embryo, at the moment when each germ cell can be potentially removed / detached and independently create another embryo. It should be mentioned that the PGD procedure will not cause any damages to the embryo developing. Nowadays, health professionals are still discussing if PGD can prevent the pregnancy.